Marketing Coordinator (Intern)
About Marketing Coordinator
Marketing co-ordinators assist with the implementation of marketing strategies and campaigns. Often reporting to the marketing manager, marketing co-ordinators provide general administrative support, track sales data, organize promotions and events and research competitor products. They also update websites, social media channels, and internal databases.
Typically, a marketing coordinator will:
- Research and collate information required by the marketing team, such as product information or sales data
- Co-ordinate marketing projects and activities
- Prepare regular marketing reports by collecting and analyzing sales data
- Undertake background research on competitors and markets
- Establish and monitor key indicators of the organization’s impact and financial health
- Represent the organization at external events and publicity opportunities
- Organise events such as trade shows and conferences
- Assist with the management of the marketing budget; for example, through processing invoices
- Act as the main point of contact for external agencies such as web designers, artwork and printing suppliers
- Update internal databases and records
- Provide administrative support for making and answering phone calls, arranging internal meetings and taking minutes
- Update and write content for the website, social media channels, newsletters and press releases
- Maintain stock of promotional materials, stationery, and merchandise
- Assist with the production of marketing material by sourcing images and proofreading text
- Communication skills: As a marketing coordinator you will need an excellent command of written English. But confidence in spoken English also needs to be high as you will often be the first point of contact outsiders have with the marketing department, as well as having to present ideas to others.
- Multi-tasking: The ability to multi-task and meet different deadlines with minimal supervision is paramount.
- IT skills: Proficiency in IT applications such as Adobe, Photoshop and MS applications will be assumed so you need to ensure you are up to scratch.
- Administrative skills: Marketing co-ordinators have to undertake a lot of the legwork in the marketing team such as answering the phone, arranging meetings and gathering information. You need to accept this role with good grace in the knowledge that you will, in time, progress to more challenging roles in marketing.
An undergraduate degree in marketing (or a professional marketing qualification) is preferred. But often diploma or relevant institute is welcome to apply.
Experience of between one and three years in mass communications and marketing is preferred. Experience or qualification in graphic design can be helpful. Interns or Fresh Graduates are also welcome to apply.